___________________________________________________________________


a plan for a second home

Welcome to All in the Detail... I am so glad you are here!




I am always dreaming of what my ‘second home’ could/would be and exactly where my ‘second home’ could/would be. I lean towards Beaufort SC on any given day (actually where this home builder is located, what a wonderful coincidence) but, I wouldn't be too picky if it came right down to actually getting a chance at a second home.

Well, I have been holding on to these house plans forever.  I am not quite sure how old they are or how long I have been squirreling them away but to me, they seem timeless. So today, I thought this might be a good opportunity to put everything in my blog and share it with you. Bet you fall in love with this cottage as well.

I’m a sucker for anything with the word cottage in it, so when I saw the plans for Eastover Cottage on Southern Living Magazine’s home plan website, I knew I had to check it out. Yes, it’s small but oh so well done. The square footage is so efficiently laid out for the amount of space that it has there.

I love everything the word cottage stands for, small, warm, cozy, beautiful, charming and the Eastover certainly fits the bill, and come on, with 5 porches, well it doesn’t get more charming than that. (I even dream of my own home furnishing store one day and guess what, it even has the word COTTAGE in the name!)


The home has a main floor with 1,775 sq. feet and an upstairs with 775 sq. feet. The home definitely has a southern feel to it with lots of Greek Revival elements, too. (This is my style of home – the exact same style elements that are present in my 'first home', and I absolutely love it.)


I really like the layout of the Eastover Cottage, with all the main rooms on the first floor. The master suite is huge and self-contained and I really like the open floor plan of the public rooms. 

I grew up sitting out in the yard or on the porch talking with friends and family at night (Ohio weather permitting) and all these porches are the perfect way to begin and end a day.



Here’s a more detail look at Eastover Cottage and some of the beautiful elements of this home.


Enjoy




Let's start at the Front Porch and take the guided tour through the house. I just love this front porch. I LOVE the width and depth of this porch with plenty of room to create a living space outdoors. I love the X porch railings instead of your standard porch rails. Doesn't it give it more interest and charm? And look at that view (ok, the view doesn't come with the plans but I'm thinking it's one I would work into the 'second home' location. What do you think?)



As we enter the house, the beautiful quaint Foyer greets us (Quaint, right? Just like a cottage should be). Don’t you just love a curved staircase? There's enough room for a table in the corner, and through that door to the right is a downstairs powder room. I don't even have to change any of the finishes on this Foyer, stained hardwood floors (gorgeous, check), black railing and stairs (gorgeous, check), white wainscoting (gorgeous, check), window pain, stained front door (gorgeous, check)... did someone call me and ask my opinion on this? I'm thinking maybe and I just don't remember.



The Living Room is right off the Foyer and looks out onto the front porch, the railing upstairs is for a loft that serves the two upstairs bathrooms and bedrooms. Ok, where do I begin... even the furniture is hand picked for me!



Here’s a peek in the kitchen with a great eat-in bar area, plenty of counter space and lots of light. Just off the kitchen is a porch area you could screen in or enclose and make a breakfast area and sitting room. Yes the 'cottage' kitchen is a bit small, but I'm usually the only one in the kitchen at any given time, so - this works for me - especially in a 'second home', right? The finishes in here are exactly what I would order... again!



Here’s a look at one of the 5 porches in this house plan. You can leave any of them open or screen-in some of them. Screened in porches give you another venue for entertaining and dining and I just love them! Many people today are even mounting TV’s in their porch areas so they can watch TV and movies and still feel like they’re outdoors. I mean.... I just can't!

Of course, you know me, there would be a few tweaks here and there, but over all, it is perfect. 

What would your dream home have in it?


And for those of you who are absolute House Fanatics, like me... I have included the Construction Details below.


BASIC
Bedrooms: 3 actual, 4 possible
Baths: 3 full,1 half
Floors: 2
Garage: 0
Foundations: Crawlspace
Master Location: Main Floor
Laundry Location: Main Floor
Fireplaces: 1

STYLE / INFLUENCES
Greek Revival
Country
Southern

KITCHEN FEATURES
Pantry
Snack Bar

MASTER SUITE FEATURES
Spa/Whirlpool
Dual Sinks
Porch
Private Toilet
Shower
Walk-in Closet
Outdoor Access

ADDITIONAL FEATURES
5 Porches
Fireplace

SQUARE FOOTAGE
Main Floor: 1775
Upper Floor: 755
Total Heated Square Footage: 2530
Garage: 0

DIMENSIONS
57'- 0" W x 64'- 0" D x 30"- 0" H

PLATE HEIGHTS
Main Floor: 10.0'
Upper Floor: 9.0'

CONSTRUCTION
Ext. Wall Construction: 2x6
Roof Framing: Gable

Images are courtesy of Southern Living.